Ideal for clients with mature or an oilier skin type, Powder brows is an amazing, beautiful solution for defined, yet soft looking eyebrows. Powder brows is a cosmetic semi-permanent makeup technique designed to create eyebrows with soft powder effect, resulting in a soft ombré look (as opposed to individual hair strokes) like a daily makeup application. The tails of the brows will be darker and fade to a lighter shade at the start of the brows, giving them a subtle look. The Powder effect is done with a shading technique using a permanent makeup tool like a tattoo gun and can last anywhere from 2 to 4 years depending on the client’s cellular turnover.
After your initial consultation, our trained artist will map out your brows to best suit your face shape and bring out your best features. Then, she will numb the area and use a device with a small needle to place pigment into the skin with a quick and steady hand motion, resulting in the pixelated effect of powder makeup. To add density to sparse brows, the artist can layer pigments which will appear as though the brow was filled in with a pencil or brow pomade. The art in shading is to layer the pixels perfectly without appearing denser and darker than the natural eyebrow hair (unless our client would like to darken their brows). At Studio Artista, we use the highest quality pigments such as the industry leading PHI and Tina Davies pigments. Their wide range of colours are cruelty-free, do not contain heavy metals and will not change colour with time.
Cost of Treatment
Every treatment plan is unique & tailored to your needs to help you achieve your best self. During our free and no-commitment consultations, our specialists are here to listen and give you all the information you need to make knowledgeable choices.
1) Avoid any chemical peels, laser treatments or microdermabrasion 3 days prior to your appointment.
2) Botox and filler injections should be performed no less than 4 weeks prior to your appointment has they can alter the position of your brows and texture of your skin.
3) Must not be on any antibiotics.
4) No Retin A, chemical exfoliators, or Accutane within 30 days of your appointment.
5) Must not have had surgery done in the past 30 days.
6) The use of sunbeds or sun exposure (tanning) less than two weeks before your appointment is forbidden. If you have a sunburn at the time of the appointment, you will have to be rescheduled.
7) Avoid waxing or tinting 2 weeks prior to your appointment.
8) Avoid blood thinners such as Ibuprofen, aspirin, Aleve, NSAIDS, vitamin E, fish oil or vitamins unless medically necessary 48-72 hours before your scheduled appointment. We will require a doctor’s approval if on prescribed blood thinners.
9) Avoid working out at least 2 hours before your appointment.
10) No alcohol or caffeine at least 2 hours leading up to your appointment.
11) If desired, wear your everyday brow makeup if you choose to provide an idea of your preferred color and brow shape to your artist.
12) Please hydrate and eat a light meal the day of your appointment.
13) Discontinue the use of any brow-growth serums like Latisse, as it can cause sensitivity/affect pigment.
14) Avoid booking during your menstrual cycle as it can increase sensitivity.
It is to be noted that the healing process after your first Powder Brows session can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks depending on the individual. The first 10 days post procedure are incredibly important. Please follow these tips for optimum results:
1) Do not touch, rub, or scratch your freshly done brows, they may feel tender and appear a little red.
2) It is essential to keep your brows dry and clean, meaning no possible situations where your brows will be exposed to dust and dirt, no physical activities that can cause excessive sweating, no saunas, swimming pools or long showers (try to tilt your head backwards not to wet your brows).
3) It is preferred to not wear any makeup during the healing process as dirt can enter open skin.
4) Change your pillowcase as soon as you get home to avoid contamination.
5) Do not sleep on your face.
6) Avoid sun exposure and tanning.
7) Avoid having facial treatment until the brows are completely healed.
8) Your brows will start scabbing after 1-3 days post procedure, this is completely normal, do not pick at the scab and continue keeping your brows clean and dry.
9) Apply a rice grain amount of aftercare ointment on each eyebrow with a cotton swab and clean hands, spread a VERY THIN layer of the ointment across the treated area every morning and night, per the artists advice. Brows should not appear greasy, glossy or shiny, if so, you used too much, as this can suffocate the skin and delay healing. Never apply ointment on a wet or damp tattoo. Continue to use the ointment until your brows are no longer scabbing.
10) After approximately two weeks, your brows should be safe from water. You may return to normal skincare routines (please contact your artist for clearance).
11) Once the scabbing is completely over, the brows will appear very light, and the desired color will start to slowly surface.
As previously mentioned, the skin does take some time to heal after a semi-permanent makeup session. During the healing period, your eyebrows will go through several phases. At first, they may seem too dark, then they will start scabbing, and finally, they will lose some of the color. Rest assured that the colour does come back at the end of the healing period, but in certain cases it can be uneven and patchy, as some of the pigment could come off with the scabs. Keep in mind that everybody’s skin heals differently, and some clients might notice gaps and irregularities after the brows are completely healed. At our studio, we understand that quality results take time and dedication, that is why we include a complementary touch up 6 weeks after the initial session in our pricing. To understand the importance of the first touch up, think of the treatment as a 2-step process.
The touch up is there to correct all the irregularities and redefine your eyebrows. Its purpose is to add onto what may have faded during the healing period. It’s also an opportunity to make some modifications if the need may be. After your touch up, your results will last you anywhere from 2 to 4 years. To prolong the crisp pigmented look of your brows, it is possible to schedule annual touch ups as desired.
It is to be noted that the skin must be free of all irritations including ingrown hairs, blemishes, eczema, sunburns, and psoriasis to go through with this procedure. The client will have to reschedule their appointment if our pre-care guidelines have not been properly followed or they arrive to their appointment sick with a cold, flu, or viral/bacterial infection. It is a possibility that hormone therapies may affect pigmentation or cause sensitivity. Persons with liver disease (high risk of infection) who are Pregnant or nursing, who have compromised skin near the brow area, who are going through or who have recently gone through chemotherapy or radiation, who have skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis, etc. near the brow area are not suitable candidates for this procedure. The following medical conditions require a clearance note from your doctor: type 1 and 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, auto immune diseases, thyroid / Graves’ disease, and any other medical conditions that slow down the healing process or may produce a high risk of infection. This service should not be done on persons having had an allergic reaction to any form of pigment.